South Africa’s 21-day lockdown period starts from March 26 until April 16. On the African continent, the country has surpassed Egypt with the highest number of confirmed Covid-19 cases – 709 as of today, and steadily climbing, with all nine provinces of the country hit. In his address to the nation on Monday, President Cyril Ramaphosa pleaded with the public to avoid panic shopping that would disrupt the food supply chain. But in anticipation of the national shutdown, South Africans pay no heed as they queue up at retail stores. In this picture, shoppers line up with trolleys outside a major store in Johannesburg, also risking the spread of the coronavirus.
Download issues of Forbes Africa
- Single Digital Issue: Nigeria 60 - Forbes Africa Oct/Nov 2020 R50.00
- Single Digital Issue: James Mwangi Cover - Forbes Africa Aug/Sep2020 R50.00
- Single Digital Issue: Forbes Africa June/July 2020 R50.00
- Single Digital Issue: Forbes Africa April 2020 - 30 Under 30 R50.00
- Single Digital Issue: Forbes Africa March 2020 R50.00