As his fortune continues to grow at an unprecedented rate, Elon Musk has now become the world’s richest person, officially overtaking Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos.
Shares of Musk’s electric-vehicle maker Tesla rose by another 8.2% as of 11:30 a.m. EST on Friday, pushing Musk’s net worth up by $12.5 billion, to $189.7 billion. That makes him the wealthiest person on the planet, according to Forbes’ estimates.
Despite a report from Bloomberg earlier this week claiming that Musk became the world’s richest person on Wednesday, by Forbes’ calculations, the Tesla chief didn’t officially take the number one spot until Friday morning. He’s now nearly $5 billion ahead of the former world’s number one, Jeff Bezos, who has a net worth of $185 billion as of 11:30 a.m EST.
Read the full profile on Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2021/01/08/elon-musk-is-now-the-richest-person-in-the-world-officially-surpassing-jeff-bezos/?sh=7bc18bf43b86
Subscribe to FORBES: https://www.youtube.com/user/Forbes?sub_confirmation=1
Forbes newsletters: https://newsletters.editorial.forbes.com
Forbes on Facebook: http://fb.com/forbes
Forbes Video on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/forbes
Forbes Video on Instagram: http://instagram.com/forbes
More From Forbes: http://forbes.com
Forbes covers the intersection of entrepreneurship, wealth, technology, business and lifestyle with a focus on people and success.
Download issues of Forbes Africa
- Single Digital Issue: African of The Year - Forbes Africa December 2020 (special issue) R50.00
- Single Digital Issue: Nigeria 60 - Forbes Africa Oct/Nov 2020 R50.00
- Single Digital Issue: James Mwangi Cover - Forbes Africa Aug/Sep2020 R50.00
- Single Digital Issue: Forbes Africa June/July 2020 R50.00
- Single Digital Issue: Forbes Africa April 2020 - 30 Under 30 R50.00