Connect with us

Current Affairs

8 Steps Employers Can Take To Protect Workers From The Coronavirus

Published

on

One day before the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a pandemic, Google parent company Alphabet asked all of its North American employees to work from home. The tech titan may have been among the first to issue such a sweeping edict, but it’s far from the only one implementing policies to safeguard employees. According to a survey by global advisory firm Willis Towers Watson, as of mid-February, 46% of employers had started encouraging staff to work remotely, while 55% were holding virtual meetings in an effort to reduce the need for business travel. 

Of the 158 U.S. companies surveyed, 38% reported that their human resources departments had been reviewing or revising their procedures to better protect their workforces. For those still in the process of doing so, here are eight ways that employers can protect their employees from the coronavirus. 

1. Disinfect the workplace

“The number one thing is keeping people safe when they’re at their worksite, and that really has to be priority No. 1,” says Jeff Levin-Scherz, co-leader of Willis Towers Watson’s North American Health Management Practice. In addition to making hand sanitizer and handwashing facilities readily available, which 44% of businesses have done, organizations should also increase the frequency at which they clean common areas and surfaces. At the time the survey was conducted, 25% of companies said they were disinfecting worksites.

2. Ask sick employees to stay home

Managers should encourage employees who are sick or may have been exposed to the virus to work from home, the latter for a period of 14 days. But Levin-Scherz cautions against making any judgements based on race or ethnicity, as doing so can create social stigma.

3. Encourage employees to work remotely and have virtual meetings

“As this virus is transmitted in more communities, social distancing is important,” Levin-Scherz says. “If you could achieve a business goal by having a telephone call or having a video conference to be face-to-face, that’s a way to decrease transmission and decrease risk.” Some 46% of organizations are offering telecommuting options, and 55% are encouraging employees to have virtual meetings. If in-person meetings are necessary, establish a no-handshake policy. 

4. Communicate contingency plans to employees

“Epidemic preparedness should be part of the business continuity plan and the plan should be periodically reviewed,” Levin-Scherz says. Thankfully, 71% of employers have an emergency response plan in place. But it’s not enough to just develop a plan—leaders must be able to effectively communicate it, too. “Companies should have good ways to communicate with all their workers, whether they’re on site or remote,” he says. “Be sure to let them know of potential exposures and any changes in company policies.” 

5. Prepare for worksite closures

If a worksite needs to be temporarily closed, take care to ensure employees understand corporate policies surrounding pay and benefits. Doing so can make all the difference for workers concerned about their job and financial security, and according to Willis Towers Watson’s survey, just 28% of employers have taken this step. 

6. Revise corporate travel policies

Many employers have encouraged employees to suspend non essential business travel, with 63% of organizations have canceled corporate trips to high-risk countries. When revising such policies, Levin-Scherz suggests referring to the advisories on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and State Department websites. 

7. Evaluate plans to host conferences

From South by Southwest to Google I/O, conferences around the world are being rescheduled or canceled, with 47% of respondents reporting having canceled events of their own. Stay in touch with local health departments and have a backup plan in place. If the show does go on as scheduled, provide attendees with hand sanitizer and hand washing facilities, and implement a no-handshake policy. 

8. Train supervisors

Above all, ensure supervisors are equipped with the resources they need to not only answer employees’ questions, but escalate concerns up the chain of command. A plan for quickly reporting any potential coronavirus exposures to the local health department, for example, is critical to have in place. To find your local health department, search for “local health department,” followed by the postal code, city or county name.

Samantha Todd, Forbes Staff, Leadership Strategy

7 Questions With...

Quarantine Reflections: How Businesses Must Lead From The Heart Now

Published

on

Bisila Bokoko, born in the Equatorial Guinea, raised in Spain and now resident in New York as a businesswoman, communications consultant and motivational speaker, is a global citizen like no other.

Straddling these regions for her wine and sports retail businesses and a library project she is spearheading in Senegal, Bokoko has been on self-quarantine for the last four weeks in her Manhattan apartment, after a recent work trip to Spain.

Here, she sheds light on the Covid-19 crisis that she says has made her more reflective of how she needs to rethink her businesses. “It is an extremely confusing and challenging time with such a huge impact on everything,” she says. “Life is never going to be the same again.”

The coronavirus outbreak has changed the way we eat, shop and consume, she adds, with the most dramatic change happening in retail, because of changing values and new priorities.

“The center is going to be the human being, and the wellbeing of the human,” says Bokoko. “And this will not be from an individual perspective, but in relation to each other. We have to be a more collaborative economy, because how we are, will affect everyone else. As leadership, we now need to lead from the heart.”

In this FORBES AFRICA interview, Bokoko speaks to Managing Editor Renuka Methil, also about how the current crisis will throw up new opportunities for local African art and the fashion business.     

Continue Reading

Current Affairs

New York On Lockdown

Published

on

By

As I walk through Brooklyn Bridge Park, gazing at the magnificent Manhattan skyline on the East River, at first glance it looks as crowded as it usually does. However, if you look closer, it’s not your typical mixture of tourists with their cacophony of foreign languages, photographers with tripods, or teenagers on skateboards. The park is filled with lone joggers, parents in yoga pants pushing double strollers and carefully guarding kids on scooters. No one plays volleyball in the sand by the river. No one picnics in the barbecue area. Everyone keeps a friendly and polite distance, some people wear face masks. And yet, it doesn’t really look like social distancing, or the lockdown that it is–ordered by the mayor and the governor of New York in an effort to contain the spread of the Coronavirus.   

That peaceful picture of joggers and children playing shouldn’t fool anyone. The five boroughs of New York City – Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx  — are hit hard by the rapidly spreading Coronavirus. With the death toll rising – 678 patients had died in overcrowded New York City hospitals by March 28, and the number of cases in New York state has surpassed 53,000; the five boroughs of New York have become the epicenter of the pandemic. 

The healthcare system is overwhelmed. I spoke with four medical professionals in the city and they all confirm the disturbing reality that is in the news. The hospitals don’t have enough protective gear, single use masks have been reused, hospitals do not have enough beds and ventilators. Medical personnel intubate patients non-stop, assisting them with breathing. The city hospitals have set up makeshift tents to triage COVID-19 patients as well as to act as morgues. The government’s delayed response to the virus’s spread is costing many, many lives. 

One thing that is striking about New Yorkers – my home of seventeen years – is how people come together and support each other. After the terrorist attack on September 11, 2001; during the power outage in 2003, when the entire city went dark for hours; and after the devastating hurricane Sandy in 2012. 

On the day when Donald Trump was elected president in 2016, New Yorkers, predominantly liberal democrats, were especially sensitive with each other, calmly sharing their sadness and expressing worry for the future of their country. Today, when schools, non-essential stores, bars and restaurants are closed, and many people are isolating and trying to follow social distancing guidelines, members of communities come together to help each other: buying food for older neighbors, helping with disinfecting door knobs and elevator buttons. Mental health professionals volunteer their services to the anxious and scared. At grocery stores and pharmacies only a few people are allowed in at a time, people are waiting outside, standing about two meters apart, and the doormen pour out hand sanitizer into people’s palms. 

Besides solidarity and respect, there is also fear and anxiety. Service and food industry workers are out of work, facing months of hardships. According to the New York State Labor department, during the first days of the lockdown, in some parts of the state, there was a 1,000% increase in unemployment claims as 1.7 million people called to file for benefits. Well over a million children from financially strained families relied on school lunches, and those are now provided at meal sites. But that also means the disparity in incomes in New York has been underscored by the Covid 19 impact, and the inequality between the haves and have-nots will continue to be exposed.

Forbes headquarters in New Jersey has been working remotely since the first week of March. We quickly re-organized: the entire company of 400 people has migrated into a virtual workplace, with a highly mobilized virtual newsroom. Besides holding daily meetings and video calls, our teams get together for virtual hangouts to keep each other’s spirits up. 

The city authorities were slow to respond to the Covid-19 spread. For weeks, when it was clear the crisis was imminent, eight million New Yorkers commuted in crowded subways, went to crowded restaurants and bars, and also traveled to and from crowded international airports, breathing in each other’s air. 

In the absence of the pandemic team, fired by Trump in 2018, the federal government’s response was slow to respond to the disaster. The Trump administration failed to prevent this crisis underestimating the danger of Covid-19: “We have it totally under control,” he said in January, when the virus was already spreading. “It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control.” The government failed to test people in a timely manner. In New York,  Mayor Bill De Blasio and the governor Andew Cuomo stepped in and tried to help the hospitals secure supplies and additional testing stations. They are still trying.

Meanwhile, the city is contemplating closing parks and other public places. Maybe even prohibiting people from leaving their homes, or perhaps prohibiting them from leaving New York itself. For the next few weeks, the Big Apple will stay confined indoors. Stay home, don’t spread, save lives.

Katya Soldak, Forbes Staff, Business

Continue Reading

Current Affairs

Here’s How Much It Could Cost If We Stop Social Distancing

Published

on

By

Topline: This week, President Trump floated the idea of easing up on social distancing measures on the theory that the damage caused by shutting down the economy might be greater than the cost of letting the virus run its course—some models suggest, however, that reopening the economy too soon could be exponentially more expensive.

• If the United States were to abandon aggressive social distancing measures after 14 days, more than 125 million people will contract the virus, some 7 million could be hospitalized, and 1.9 million people will die (accounting for other factors like infectiousness and hospitalization rates), according to a model built by the New York Times
  • If social distancing goes on for two months, the model predicts that 14 million will contract the virus, with fewer than 100,000 deaths.
  • There’s no debate that the broader economy is going to suffer even at the current rate of spread. Morgan Stanley is predicting a 30% drop in GDP next quarter. U.S. GDP is currently $21.43 trillion. A drop of 30% would mean a value-loss of more than $6.4 trillion (for context, the economic relief bill signed by President Trump this afternoon is worth about $2 trillion). 
  • If the outbreak worsens due to relaxed social distancing measures, it’s not unreasonable to anticipate even greater economic losses.
  • Economists can calculate the average value of one life saved using a model called the value of a statistical life. It’s a fuzzy metric used by some government agencies that is based on how much a person is willing to pay to reduce the risk of death. Right now, that figure hovers around $10 million.
  • “If we could prevent a million deaths, at the usual way we value [them] of around $10 million each, that’s $10 trillion, which is half of GDP,” says James Hammitt, a professor of economics in Harvard’s health policy department. 
  • University of Chicago economists have arrived at a similar conclusion: they’ve found that under “moderate” social distancing measures, 1.7 million lives and at least $7.9 trillion could be saved. 

Big number: The average cost of a hospital stay for a mild case of pneumonia is $9,763, according to Peterson-KFF analysis (pneumonia is commonly associated with COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus). The median total cost balloons to $88,114 for the most severe cases that require more than four days of ventilator support. Seven million hospitalizations for patients with mild cases would cost more than $68 billion. If 17% of those patients required ventilator support, as was the case in one Chinese study, the cost of hospitalizations alone could add up to a staggering $161 billion, and that’s before the cost of other health complications related to the virus is accounted for. 

Crucial quote: “Anything that slows the rate of the virus is the best thing you can do for the economy, even if by conventional measures it’s bad for the economy,” University of Chicago economist Austan Goolsbee told the New York Times

Key background: In some ways, all of this discourse is more than a century old. A new paper released yesterday found that during the1918 flu pandemic—the closest historical analogue for the current coronavirus outbreak—cities that intervened earlier and more aggressively to slow the spread of the virus through social distancing and isolation of cases suffered no greater economic damage than those that didn’t. “On the contrary,” the authors write, “cities that intervened earlier and more aggressively experience a relative increase in real economic activity after the pandemic.” Seattle, Oakland, Omaha, and Los Angeles, for instance, implemented stronger containment measures than Pittsburgh, Nashville, and Philadelphia and all saw a much larger surge in job growth after the crisis was over in 1920. 

Tangent: Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick suggested earlier this week that grandparents might be willing to die to preserve the economy for their grandchildren. “No one reached out to me and said, ‘as a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren?’” he said. “And if that’s the exchange, I’m all in.” His and Trump’s comments sparked a backlash among progressives on social media on Tuesday, when the hashtag #NotDying4WallStreet trended on Twitter as users voiced their fears of the pandemic, and of the government’s response to it. “I’ll let Wall Street flat line before my grandma does,” wrote one Twitter user. 

Sarah Hansen, Forbes Staff

Continue Reading

Trending